[TriLUG] webalizer and Apache VirtualHosts

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 12:51:53 EDT 2004

As some of you already know, I had one helluva time getting webalizer to run
comletely separate for each of my 3 VirtualHosts.  I host 3 domains at home and
previous to my HD crash last week, never got webalizer working beyond one
domain.  So now I am rebuilt and really wanted /usage for each of my 3 domains
to be kept up with individually (per domain).  This is in practice to hosting
multiple domains at work on a linux webserver of course... :)

I've not got much hair on my head and I certainly pulled a few more out trying
to get this right.  Here's some helpful stuff and my thoughts on my notes.

http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/faq.html #17  <-- I cover this in my
documentation coming up.

Before you get to my notes, the one thing I cannot answer is why step 7.c. had
to be so difficult.  I couldn't find in any docs anywhere about what files
webalizer needed to have vs. which files it would create on its own.  I 100%
guessed that I needed to remove the .current files that I had previously
touched while setting everything up.  A random google search mentioned
something about removing the .current file when webalizer quit working for
him/her, so I figured, if they can delete it when it quits working and then run
it and it starts working, sounds to me like webalizer creates that file on it's
own, therefore does not require being touched.  If this is also the case of the
.hist or the _cache.db, I cannot say.  However, I can tell you that if you do
touch the files my instructions say to touch, you won't get an error, but if
you touch .current, you will!

http://www.turnpike420.net/linux2/webalizer_virtualhost.txt

Any thoughts/comments are welcome, etc... Enjoy!

laters,
David M.