[TriLUG] requirements for classes...

Brian A. Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Thu Apr 29 14:22:45 EDT 2004

> [Jim Ray sez:] great idea.  Vnc works over IP.  Matt and I  tinkered with
it
> the other week.  Me thinks I had the wrong port open on the router,
though.
> > TCP port [ 5900 + vncport ] So if your VNC session is session 1, you
open
> > port 5901.
> [Jim Ray sez:] cool.  If anyone wants to try it tonight, lemme know.

I remember hearing VNC wasn't safe to do in-the-clear on an unsecured
network...  Or is that just X?  At any rate, it would simplify your port
issues (at the router, at least) if you tunneled vnc through ssh anyhow..
or will that be too much of a performance hit?  Not that I know how to do
that..  just that it can be done. :-)

~Brian