[TriLUG] TriLUG ReplyTo

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Thu Apr 29 14:54:21 EDT 2004

Brian A. Henning said the following on 4/29/04 2:26 PM:

> General question for someone like Tanner or Jeremy:
>
> Why does hitting Reply sometimes reply to just the list, and sometimes reply
> to the list and the original poster?  Particularly I noticed (AS I hit Send,
> too late to correct it) that my reply to a post from Jim Ray was going to
> Jim personally and the list (which means, I think, that he'll get two copies
> of the message, right?  Sorry Jim).
>
> Is there something I should be doing, aside from trying to keep a sharp eye,
> to make sure I only reply to the list?
>
> Cheers,
> ~Brian

Reply should always go to the list since we set the Reply-To header
(no comments, please, on whether that should be the default or not,
that's been rehashed thousands of times over the net).  I've noticed
that if you do Reply to all it will sometimes get both the poster and
the reply-to but I had assumed that was highly client dependent.  For
myself, it always seems to do just what I don't want it to do. :-)
What client are you running?

Anyone else out there that can help shed some light on this?

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton