[TriLUG] requirements for classes...

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Apr 30 08:58:13 EDT 2004

Jim Ray wrote:

>>As Rock pointed out, recording something already low-bandwidth friendly
>>would be very different than the situation you propose of recording
>>entire meetings.  I don't think we have the bandwidth resources to do
>>that and provide it available over the web, yet.  On the other hand, I
>>wouldn't be too opposed to DV'ing the meetings, and providing copies of
>>them on DVD for archival by TriLUG
>>

>[Jim Ray sez:] how 'bout a little h.323 multicast? Nothing like streaming
>video.  People can record it if they wanna.  An isp/hosting center would
>have to be very generous with bandwidth for that hour or two a month lab
>session.  We'd prolly need one of those multipoint switch thingies.

Okay, let's get an idea.  A "show of hands" on the list, if you will,
please.  How many people would be interested in attending a video-casted
conference / training session, at a set time, broadcast over the web?
It's not unreasonable that we could sponsor such a stream from here at
Intrex, but before I even broach the topic I'd want to know what kind of
bandwidth we're talking about, in terms of individual connections.  It'd
be nice to have a big enough turn out to make it worth doing (say at
least 10-15 people), but 100+ people would probably make it too
bandwidth-intensive.

I suppose how many people would be interested, is directly tied to what
the topic is.  What types of topic(s) would we cover with such an event?

Aaron S. Joyner