[TriLUG] requirements for classes...

sholton at mindspring.com sholton at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 30 09:53:14 EDT 2004

As spoke  "Aaron S. Joyner" <aaron at joyner.ws>

> Okay, let's get an idea.  A "show of hands" on the list, if you will,
> please.  How many people would be interested in attending a video-casted
> conference / training session, at a set time, broadcast over the web?

Not me. Not video, at any rate. (and I have to add, I was afraid of this...)

I'm a bandwidth-limited dial up user. If delivery isn't tolerable at
28.8Kbps then it's not of any interest to me personally.

I'm interested in the VNC+voice idea because, at least by my
back of the envelope calculations, you can fit a tolerable VNC session
and a low-quality compressed audio channel into that pipe. That's also a payload
which (I was presuming) perhaps the TruLUG server could handle, both
in terms of bandwidth and in terms of storage space required for the archives.

My other concern was for the dependency tree. IIRC a minimal VNC
requires little more than a browser, which makes it cross-platform
and compatible with just about every Windows, Mac and *nix
install from the past five years. If we start building a solution based on
a deep set of requirements, we'll begin to alienate people.

The move from an on-site class to an on-line class _substantially_ increases
the potential audience. We may find that our TriLUG readers who don't reside
in RTP might still be interested in on-line classes.

Perhaps we need to clearly split the discussion between those focused on
an on-line training solution within the low-bandwidth, low tech  requirement
and a separate one covering what you've proposed, and not constrained by
the low-bandwidth, low tech restriction.

--
Steve Holton
sholton at mindspring.com

--