[TriLUG] TriLUG ReplyTo

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Fri Apr 30 10:22:48 EDT 2004

Jeremy Portzer said the following on 4/29/04 3:06 PM:

> On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 14:54, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
>
>> I've noticed
>>that if you do Reply to all it will sometimes get both the poster and
>>the reply-to but I had assumed that was highly client dependent.  For
>>myself, it always seems to do just what I don't want it to do. :-)
>

>>Anyone else out there that can help shed some light on this?
>>

> I that if the original e-mail has a Reply-To: header set, mailman will
> *add* the list address (trilug at trilug.org) to the existing Reply-To:
> header, rather than replacing with only the list address.  I tried that
> with this e-mail; we'll see if it works.
>
> Therefore, the Reply-To: will should end up looking like this:

> <trilug at trilug.org>, Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp at pobox.com>
> [all on one line]
>
> So, the client will include both in the header when you press reply,
> which makes it easier to select whether you want the reply to go to the
> list or to the individual.  You can just delete whichever you don't
> want.
>
> --Jeremy

Ah-ah.  This explains it.  Mailman can be set to strip reply-tos before
adding the list one but isn't currently set to do this.  The option
in question is described here:

   Should any existing Reply-To: header found in the  original message be
   stripped? If so, this will be done  regardless of whether an explict

I believe older versions of mailman did this by default so it wasn't
a problem.  When we upgraded, we must have not realized and just left
this at the default.

I've just changed it to do the reply-to stripping so let's try it out
this way for a bit.  If people don't like it, we can always change it back.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton