[TriLUG] TriLUG ReplyTo

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Fri Apr 30 11:40:52 EDT 2004

Magnus Hedemark said the following on 4/30/04 11:28 AM:

> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
>

>>I *liked* the way it was working.
>

> Yeah, but Tanner and I actually *agree* so
> you can't resist the strong gravitation pull of both of us actually
> pulling in the same direction.

I did say we could try this out and see how it worked.  You prefer
it the way it was.  So noted.  Does anyone else have an opinion
about it?  Please speak up so that we can come to a consensus.

Magnus, I'm not sure we agree totally.  I would actually prefer
reply-to not be set at all, but I've given up on that fight and
have resigned myself to reply-to set to list.  The reason I set
it this way is because I believed that this is what the list
used to be and that it had changed when we upgraded to Mailman 2.1.
If we actually agreed completely about something I'd be scared
that a black hole would actually form around that issue and
suck everything into it. ;-) ;-) ;-)

> Not a problem with a half decent MUA.  Mine always asks if I want to
> respond to Reply-To, sender, or both. ;-P
>

>>Otherwise you have to cut and paste, especially if you're using a
>>brain-dead mailer like evolution that won't let you reply to the From:
>>address.
>

> Well there is your whole problem in a nutshell.  ;-P

This is one of the reasons I don't use evolution anymore.  A lot of
graphical mailers don't do this because it voilates the spec (which
I also think is brain-dead, but that's a different discussion) including
the one I use now (Thunderbird), but when I tried to bring this up
in Evolution's bugzilla the developers refused to even consider anything
that went beyond or outside of the spec.  I decided I didn't like their
attitude and where they were taking the program so I switched mailers.
Of course the resulting stability I gained in my mail program and the
ability to use the same mailer under whatever OS I wanted to more
than made up for it for me. (As always, YMMV if you try it out for yourself.)

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton