tab-completion bell - was Re: [TriLUG] terminal flicker when using 'screen'

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon May 3 10:38:51 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 13:28, Douglas Kojetin wrote:
> hi all-
>
> when i ssh into a machine and use the program 'screen', i often get a
> black/white terminal flicker when hitting TAB (autofill file names when
> typing on the command line, for instance).  is this a feature (a form
> of beep/alert)?  if so, any way of turning it off?

This isn't related to screen exactly, but you can tell your bash shell
to not generate the BEL with failed tab completion.  Just put the
following in your ~/.inputrc :
	set bell-style none

(~/.inputrc actually applies to any program using the "readline"
library, not just bash.  If you don't have one, just create one.)

This little bit is a necessity on all of my user accounts, otherwise my
office-mate would go mad with all the beeping, or I would go mad with
the flicker if I used visual bell.  :-)

Hope this helps,
Jeremy