[TriLUG] Drop and insert transparent firewall (OpenBSD)

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon May 3 11:16:05 EDT 2004

Jeremy Portzer wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 10:32, Aaron S. Joyner wrote:
>

>>  It's a Dell / Intel motherboard,
>>and most of the Intel server boards provide the ability to push the BIOS
>>out the serial port.  I use it on the Intel server boards, ala the Intel
>>S875WP1 and it's siblings.  Generally, you don't want to use the BIOS
>>functionality of trying to force the entire OS out the serial port.
>>Just setup the BIOS to use the serial port, then the kernel to output to
>>the serial port, and once it's up and running put a Getty on the serial
>>port.  Fairly straight forward.
>>

>Does LILO/grub have an option to output on the serial port?  Otherwise
>that would be one step that would be missing between the BIOS
>self-check/utility and the kernel boot.
>
>--Jeremy

Since we were on BSD LILO or Grub were not an issue (we were dealing w/
the BSD boot loader), but in answer to your question yes LILO is capable
of serial boot.  Information here:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/configure-boot-loader.html
information is included for LILO, GRUB, and SYSLINUX.  For anyone
considering running a linux serial setup, pretty much everything seems
to be covered here:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/

Enjoy!
Aaron S. Joyner