[TriLUG] putting files to a server with a browser

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon May 3 13:57:59 EDT 2004

Long story short, you need a script on the server that will receive the
file, and place it on the server accordingly.  As David described, you
can do it with PHP, PERL, or god forbid one of those J* options.

For beginning PHP information look here:
http://us2.php.net/features.file-upload    and
http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/File_Manipulation/Upload_Systems/

For PERL, check out these:
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/474  and
http://www.hotscripts.com/Perl/Scripts_and_Programs/File_Manipulation/Upload_Systems/

DISCLAIMER: I did not review these scripts at all.  They are the results
of 30 seconds of googling.  Don't hold anyone but yourself responsible
if they cause the world to end.  You should not drop scripts into place
on your server unless you have _at_least_ a rudimentary understanding of
how they work.  Take the few minutes to read the articles and understand
what's going on with those scripts.  Even if you don't use that
knowledge to do a cursory audit of the script for security reasons,
you're orders-of-magnitude more likely to get them working "as intended"
if you understand the basic principles.

Hope that helps!
Aaron S. Joyner