[TriLUG] Getting SSH to work at MSEC level 4 in Mandrake

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Mon May 3 16:54:11 EDT 2004

Aaron S. Joyner said the following on 5/3/04 11:41 AM:

> I find it unfortunate that the installer presents security related
> options with out dire warnings about the compatibility and feature
> trade-offs associated with each "Security Level".  Unfortunately, new
> users are often lulled into thinking "Sure, I want more security" so
> they choose a setting that is unfortunately higher than their ability to
> competently run.  The net result often being that they are turned off by
> "this linux thing" and give up, going back to their comfortable Windows
> world.  I'm not suggesting that these security related enhacements are
> in any way bad, but the installer should emphasise the inherent security
> of the lower levels compared to other OSes, and the potential pitfalls
> associated with the higher level of security.  I imagine the information
> is buried in the documentation, and perhaps there is a link to that
> documentation on that page - not having completely installed Mandrake
> before myself, I just don't know.  But regardless of the level of
> information present, it appears to me that it's not enough.  :)
>
> Aaron S. Joyner

Just as an FYI, this is what it says when you select a mandrake security level:

   The Security Level menu allows you to select one of the six preconfigured
   security levels provided with msec. These levels range from poor security and
   ease of use, to paranoid config, suitable for very sensitive server
   applications:

   Poor: This is a totally unsafe but very easy to use security level. It should
   only be used for machines not connected to any network and that are not
   accessible to everybody.

   Standard: This is the standard security recommended for a computer that will
   be used to connect to the Internet as a client.

   High: There are already some restrictions, and more automatic checks are run
   every night.

   Higher: The security is now high enough to use the system as a server which
   can accept connections from many clients. If your machine is only a client on
   the Internet, you should choose a lower level.

   Paranoid: This is similar to the previous level, but the system is entirely
   closed and security features are at their maximum.

I'm curious as to how much of that your friend actually read.  It seemed by
your description that he was just setting up a standard client, not a server.
Based on that and the above description I would pick the "Standard" level of
security.  I will admit that when they say "poor security and ease of use"
it isn't quite obvious that they're equating poor security is the *same* as
ease of use (and that higher security should be equated with harder to use).
People who do a lot with security already know about this tradeoff and so
tend to pick whatever is appropriate but a new user doesn't have that
background.  Perhaps a slider like this one would be easier?

Less Security                                       More security
      |------------|------------|------------|------------|
Easier to use                                       Harder to use

That would make the tradeoff clearer.

Note, btw, though, that while frustrating at times, the periodic security
checks are actually a *good* thing.  Say, for instance, your box gets
broken into and some things get changed to allow easier access to it.
It's entirely possible that the next time msec runs it will close down
whatever was changed.  Also, for the higher security levels, having a
policy of turning everything off and only enabling what should be turned
on is very definitely the "right way"(tm) to do things from a security
standpoint.

One thing I've been kicking around is putting together a presentation
on msec and various other mandrake security options (the secure kernel
patches it uses too).  Would there be any interest in a presentation
about this? (There's probably not enough material to do a full class,
but there's more than enough for a simple presentation.)

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton