[TriLUG] NAS box

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Mon May 3 17:45:08 EDT 2004

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 09:18:13PM -0400, Aaron Joyner wrote:

> I'm not quite sure how much of your file sharing volume goes between
> the Linux boxes, but I'm going to take a short assumption that the bulk
> of the file sharing is done to the windows boxes.  Start with LVM.  Add
> as many disks are you require, and make them (at least) a redundant
> raid array of some sort (probably RAID1, optionally RAID5).  Share via
> Samba, and then layer on rsync rolling backups of the network shares
> (done with LVM's snapshopts for consistancy), so that you can provide
> the "snapshot" rolling-backup feature that's one of the more popular
> driving features behind the network-appliance storage devices.

Aaron,

Yes, I have been using RAID 1 on the existing machine for quite some
time, and have recently been playing with LVM ( successfully too! ) as
well.  I am intending to move some of that technology to other
applications ( clients ) now that I am more comfortable with it.

Unfortunately, RAID or not, if you write bad data, or erase files from
one half of the mirror, both copies are bad!  Just like single drives.
B-)

> That would be my recommendation.
>
> Aaron S. Joyner

Thank you, Aaron.