[TriLUG] IDE - SCSI Cloning with LVM Issue

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 10:07:28 EDT 2004

So here is the task:

Clone an existing machine. Sounds rather straight forward. The issue is that
I'm cloning from ide to SCSI and LVM is involved. Lilo is the boot loader. I
think I have most everything correct, but when I boot the cloned machine,
vgscan is not able to locate the volume group (where the root partition is
stored), and therefor mount /.

Here is my configs:

Initial machine:
  Dell Poweredge 400SC
  40GB IDE Drive
  SuSE Enterprise 8
  Partitions:
  /dev/hda1 - 50MB /boot partition
  /dev/hda2 - 2GB  Swap partition
  /dev/hda3 - 36GB LVM partition
     volume1  - LVM Volume Group
       /dev/Volume1/Root LVM Logical volume for /

Clone recipient:
  Dell Poweredge 600SC
  73GB SCSI Drive

So here is the methodology:
1. Boot clone using a rescue disk
2. on Colone fdisk /dev/sda and create the following partitions:
  /dev/sda1 - 50MB Linux partition
  /dev/sda2 - 2GB  Swap partition
  /dev/sda3 - 36GB Linux LVM partition
3. Clone the partition data from the Initial machine to the clone machine
using dd over ssh for both /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda3
4. Run vgscan and vgchange to activate the newly cloned volume group
5. mount the new root partition and chroot to it
6. Adjust the /etc/lilo.conf file
7. Adjust the /etc/fstab file
8. mk_initrd and run lilo

When I boot, vgscan is unable to locate the volume group volume1.

Here is the lilo config file:

boot	= /dev/sda
change-rules
reset
read-only
menu-scheme = Wb:kw:Wb:Wb
lba32
prompt
timeout	= 80
message	= /boot/message

  image  = /boot/vmlinuz
  label  = linux
  root   = /dev/volume1/root
  vga    = 791
  initrd = /boot/initrd

  image  = /boot/vmlinuz.shipped
  label  = failsafe
  root   = /dev/volume1/root
  vga    = 791
  initrd = /boot/initrd.shipped
  append = "ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal nosmp maxcpus=0 disableapic
3"
  optional

Here is the fstab file:

/dev/sda1		/boot		    ext2	defaults		1 2
/dev/sda2		swap		    swap	pri=42			0 0
/dev/volume1/root       /		    reiserfs    defaults		1 1

devpts			/dev/pts	    devpts	mode=0620,gid=5		0 0
proc			/proc		    proc	defaults		0 0
usbdevfs		/proc/bus/usb	    usbdevfs	noauto			0 0

/dev/cdrom		/media/cdrom	    auto	ro,noauto,user,exec	0 0
/dev/fd0		/media/floppy	    auto	noauto,user,sync	0 0

Any ideas, suggestions, things to try?

Thanks,

Ron