[TriLUG] Knoppix 3.4 - Local TriLUG torrent

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu May 6 12:05:55 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 11:34, Mike M wrote:

> I thought 3.4 was out a couple of weeks back?  When Jim Ray
> was asking about Knoppix on his AMD I checked and _thought_
> I saw 3.4 with optional 2.6 being advertised.  Just splitting
> hairs while avoiding real work.

The Knoppix versioning system is a little strange, but I think this is
the first "real" 3.4 to come out (there were rumors of one a few weeks
back released at some conference).  But there will probably be multiple
versions released with 3.4 on it -- the release date is the important
part to look at.  The one under discussion here is
KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-04, which as you can tell just came out Tuesday.
This is the first Knoppix distributed widely with a 2.6 kernel.

> I read through the bit torrent intro/faqs/server setup (I've not
> done b/t yet).  I like what I see - in theory.  My security sensors
> are tingling though perhaps more out of ignorance than anything else.
> Also, once you become part of a bit torrent network are you a relay for
> anything including unathorized distributions of copyrighted works?

You don't have to run a tracker ('server' as you put it) to download a
file.  You just point your BT client at the file and begin.  Since the
file in question is Knoppix, freely distributable Open Source software,
you don't need to worry even if the tracker is also involved in
something unsavory.  You would only be involved in the network for the
file you are downloading.  Also my tracker only has the EN and DE
versions of Knoppix, no need to worry.

You are right however that BT is a peer-to-peer system and I won't deny
that there is plenty of warez, movies, etc, being distributed this way.
However the tracker is a "central" location, so trackers distributing
OSS software are likely to be completely separate from those involved in
illegal stuff.  It's not like Kazaa etc that are totally decentralized.

> I like these excerpts from the server setup guide:
>
> 1. "it's primarily written for people running Windows"

There's  a readme.txt for server/tracker setup in Linux/OSX.

--Jeremy