[TriLUG] need a gui for my bash script

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Mon May 10 10:45:10 EDT 2004

You might want to look at ncurses.  It's minimalist, and still runs in a
shell, but it might not cost too much in terms of performance and still
provide at least some level of GUI functionality for your users.  If you
want something that is slicker and more of a window-oriented GUI, you might
want to consider converting the script into a Perl/Tk tool.  There are a
number of good book on Perl/Tk, if you have prior Perl experience, I'm told,
but that might be more than you want to do for this.

Otherwise, I'd make it web-based.  That's probably the easiest way to create
a GUI for a shell script, and requires the least amount of crap to deal with
and new stuff to learn

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 --Ben Franklin--