[TriLUG] Tanner Lovelace's bio

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Thu May 13 10:46:17 EDT 2004

Turnpike Man said the following on 5/13/04 9:34 AM:
> If anyone would like to introduce themselves... there are some of you who I do
> not know, same as others are thinking I'm sure.  So, what will you bring to the
> table for TriLUG?  Voters want to know!
>
> thanks,
> David M.

Most of the people on the list know me already.  For those of you who
don't, allow me to introduce myself.  My name is Tanner Lovelace and
I'm the current TriLUG System Administrator.  I'm responsible for
making sure the machines and services TriLUG provides for its members
run smoothly.  In the past, I was one of the three people responsible
for setting up the TriLUG ldap/kerberos single sign-on system (along
with Magnus Hedemark and Jeremy Portzer) and the primary person
responsible for setting up our imap and smtp server.  I also made the
suggestion we have a booth at some of the local hamfests.  In addition,
I have given several talks to the lug including GPG encryption and
RPM packaging. I have been on the Steering Committee for the past two years.

I first started using Linux in the summer of 1994 when a friend introduced
me to Slackware.  I briefly moved from that to Yggdrassil before
settling on Red Hat.  I used Red Hat until 1999 when I switched to Mandrake.
I am married (8.5 years now) and have a son that's almost three. I got my M.S.
degree in computer science at Johns Hopkins University and now work as a
software engineer at Oculan. I've been involved with the LUG for about three
years now, but I did go to the very first LUG meeting ever at the ILS department
at UNC in 1998. My experience with leadership includes being on the current
TriLUG steering committee these past two years, holding the post of President
of the Computer Science Students Association at UNC (1999-2000), being on the
Board of Directors of the NC Eastern Region Odyssey of the Mind 1998-2002, the
NC State Board of Directors of Odyssey of the Mind (1998-2002), and the
Northern Virginia Odyssey of the Mind Board of Directors (1996-1998). In
addition, I have run the mailing list for the Society of Creative
Anachronism Kingdom of Atlantia since 1994.

My goals over the previous two years have been to explore new ways for the
LUG to execute its primary mission of promoting linux, explore new ways
for the LUG to make its resources available to its members, work on finding
new ways to sponsor the LUG and present our members with excellent
presentations.  I believe we have succeeded at these goals.  As one of
the most active user groups in the area we are recognized as a local
linux authority by other groups in the area.  This has led to partnerships
with other groups such as the one with the United Way Teaming for Technology
where we helped them check out a lot of non-standard equipment which was
then sold at auction and provided a good fund raiser for both groups.
The LUG mail server is highly used and people say good things about it.
While the LUG doesn't have a primary large sponsor, we have been able
to increase our small sponsors so that the LUG is in very good financial
shape right now.  In addition, through several hamfest shows by providing
Linux CDs we have been able to both promote linux and raise money at the
same time.  And finally, we are always on the lookout for good presentations
for our members and as a result we now regularly schedule meetings 4-5 months
in advance.  This is not to say we can't do better, but I believe we
are currently doing well.

I believe these are still good goals and, if elected, would like to
continue with them over the next year.  I would, however, add one more
goal: work to involve more members in LUG activities.  The LUG has grown enough
that the SC can't do everything anymore, the membership must step
forward and help out if the LUG is to continue to grow. The good news is,
they are.  We are one of the most active user groups in the area and I
believe we can continue to be.  I would like to help with this by continuing
to serve on the TriLUG Steering Committee.

Thank you very much,
Tanner Lovelace

Note: my previous bio posts can be found here:

http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20020506/007243.html
http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20030505/016422.html

--
Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton