[TriLUG] Biography of Joseph Tate

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Thu May 13 13:56:34 EDT 2004

As I don't yet know most of you, I'll introduce myself.

I'm not going to say that I've been involved in TriLUG for a long time,
or using Linux since time began, because I haven't.  But I do know a lot
about Linux, and currently contribute to several Open Source Projects
including cAos (a new distribution with a Debian-like social contract),
Serendipity (a PHP based Web Log System) and the PHP project.  I was the
president of the Duke Chapter of ACM from 1999-2000, and graduated from
Duke University in 2000 with a BSE in Computer Engineering and Computer
Science, and currently work as a Software Engineer at IBM (A recent
development).  The fact that always wows people about me is that I'm the
oldest of ten children (six boys and four girls).

I believe we have a lot of potential within TriLUG and in the Triangle
Area.  Great strides have been made socially and technologically since I
have become associated with TriLUG.  Meetings have been increasingly
interesting and stimulating.  As a steering committee member, I will
work to continue to improve those items.  I'd also work to increase the
educational potential: both for Newbies and Wizards by working with
local experts and companies to present classes, seminars and labs.

In addition, I think that more needs to be done to evangelize Linux and
advertise the services provided by TriLUG.  I know of several people who
run Linux at home or at work, but who have never tapped into the
resources available in TriLUG: They haven't because they've never heard
of TriLUG.  As a member of the Steering Committee, I'll work to grow our
membership in new areas by increasing the frequency of Install Fests and
boosting publicity efforts.  I'd also like to see a type of community
develop around TriLUG.  Not just a local SlashDot, but a collaboration
of articles on how this person did this, or that person did that, etc.
Taking notes that each of you makes daily to do what you do, and filling
them out into Howtos or articles for the good of the group.  IRC and the
Mailing List are great mediums, but cannot compete with content on a
website for ease of use.

GForge has been set up and is available for TriLUG members.
Unfortunately this resource has remained mostly unused.  I'd like to see
  some TriLUG "sponsored" projects started there, or some existing
projects, run by TriLUGgers and hosted privately to be moved to
forge.trilug.org.

In short, I'll work tirelessly on increasing benefits to the TriLUG
members and growing our community socially, educationally, and technically.

Signed,
Joseph Tate