[TriLUG] OT: looking for "red" plenum zip ties

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu May 13 13:58:46 EDT 2004

Having worked in the past for a cabling company, doing everything from
CAT-V station wiring to terminating and splicing long-haul fiber
backbones, it's really common practice to use "zip ties" aka "wire ties"
on network cabling.  In a perfect world, something like waxed nylon
string or velcro fasteners, or simply good cable management for the
entire run, is a definitely preferred - but our world is so rarely
perfect.  For CAT-V, as long as you aren't yanking them down so tight as
to pinch the cable, you should be fine.  A good rule of thumb could be,
if you can still slide the cable back and forth, with only light
friction (enough to hold it in place), you're definitely in good shape.

As for Jon's particular issue with the Building Inspector from the Dark
Side of the Moon - he needs a head check.  The purpose behind Plenum
ratings is to ensure that nothing in your open-air return ceilings is
going to cause the fire to spread from one section of the building to
another.  The situation in question is with a fire in one room of the
building, and the HVAC system circulating super-heated air from the fire
into the ceiling return area, will the wire ties burst into flame and
set something else on fire, thus causing the entire building to burn
down at a very rapid rate.  It's a certainly valid concern, and it's his
job to pro actively prevent it.  But *COLOR* is not an accurate
indication of somethings flammability rating -- or fire trucks would be
in bad shape.

Aaron S. Joyner