[TriLUG] Kernel Panic - This can't be good for a Friday morning

Mark mark at co.robeson.nc.us
Fri May 14 09:05:33 EDT 2004

Hi all-

I've got major problems this morning with my samba-ldap authentication
box.

Here's the pertinent information:

RH Linux 9

GRUB Bootloader

Been up and running for a couple of months before I rebooted this
morning.

Has the following error on reboot:

EXT3-fs: Mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.

pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2

umount: /initrd/proc failed: 2

Freeing unused kernel memory: 156K freed

Kernel panic: no init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

I've searched on the subject and found a couple of things I could try,
but all involve getting into the filesystem, a task I've been unable to
accomplish.  I tried passing a 'boot single' to GRUB but the same thing
happens (although the error is slightly different with a 'try passing
root=').  I've also tried using Tom's rescue disks, but I can't seem to
mount /dev/sda (where the root partition should be).

I've also tried booting with the linux rescue option using the Redhat
Linux 9 install CD, but I wind up getting an error that no distro was
found on the install cd.

I'm at a loss and panicky..

Any ideas will be GREATLY appreciated.

Mark