FIXED! (was Re: [TriLUG] Synaptics Touchpad and 2.6.x Kernel)

David A. Cafaro dac at trilug.org
Fri May 14 15:48:37 EDT 2004

To All,

Just wanted to include this for the record.  I finally got it sorted
out.  I apparently was doing everything correctly, the catch is the
kernel wasn't (or at least wasn't in regards to my hardware).  I finally
googled the right keywords and found a thread that mentioned passing
"i8042.nomux" to the kernel at boot.  Suddenly my touch-pad was
recognized again, and all is happy again.

Just for kicks I'm in the process of installing FC2 Test 3 on the laptop
now for testing in preparation for FC2 Finals release next week.  Looks
good so far!  Thanks again for all the suggestions.

-David

PS. Here are the tricks I tried before finding the above solution:

1. A good dozen+ different XF86Config files
2. Using the Synaptics driver w/ another dozen configs
3. Compiling the 2.6.0, 2.6.5, 2.6.6 kernel with assorted options
4. Patching the kernel with different GPM patches
5. Compiling the kernel with synaptics stuff ripped out
6. Passing pci=noacpi, psmouse.proto=imps, acpi=off, psmouse_noext=1
   to the kernel at boot time together and different combos.

--
David A. Cafaro <dac(at)cafaro.net>
Sys Admin to User: "You did what?!?"