[TriLUG] OT:<rant>Intrex just lost a customer</rant>

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Sun May 16 17:59:24 EDT 2004

On May 16, 2004, at 3:41 PM, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> John Franklin wrote:
>
>> I can't tell you the number of times I've wanted to open a computer
>> store called "Top Shelf Computing" just two doors down from Intrex
>> stocked with components that aren't cheap junk.  <shrug>

> There is a store like that, known as "Stay Online" -- they are located
> at
> 55 and Sedwick Rd. near RTP.  They used to have several other
> locations in
> the area but couldn't survive due to the necessary higher prices for
> higher quality components.
>
> Look back through the archives of this list and you will see many rants
> about high prices at Stay Online.  You can't have it both ways.

I have patronized SO in the past, where my needs met their products.
I'm not so concerned with their prices, which indeed may not be the
ragged edge of competitive, but rather what they stock being well
beyond my needs.  SO carries a lot of industrial level stuff.  Take,
for example their non-GigE switches.[1]  They have a couple models that
are useful in a home network, but the majority of them are 16 or 24
port (far more than I need) or include fiber ports or module bays.
They're stuff is probably good, but I've only got a few machines, not a
data center.

What I'd like is a selection of high quality NICs (3COMs, Intel Pros),
suitable for a "prosumer" hobbyist without having to wade through a
bunch of cheap Taiwanese knock-offs, most of which have known hardware
bugs.

[1] http://www.stayonline.com/switches/index.asp
jf
--
John Franklin
franklin at elfie.org
ICBM: 38º 56' 32.6"N 77º 24' 47.7"W Z+62m