[TriLUG] Email filtering script

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Sun May 16 22:42:16 EDT 2004

Dean Price said the following on 5/16/04 9:09 AM:
> Would that work with virtual users....
>
> I have a default username for the account (dprice) and then several virtual
> username (the actuall email accounts)(deano, cathy)
>
> It just seems to me that if I use the dprice in that line that it would look for
> .procmailrc in the /home/dprice directory... but if it doesn't match anything
> in .procmail where would the mail go at that point?
>
> Maybe I am over thinking the process but I don't want to lose any mail either.
>
> Would I be able to use the virtual usernames in its place... I wouldn't think so
> because procmail wouldn't know where to find its .procmailrc file.

If you notice, the place where I said to put your username in the procmail
recipe is preceded by a #.  That's the shell comment.  So, it doesn't
really matter what's there, as long as it's unique.  See the web page I
mentioned: (specifically, this paragraph)

"The #youruserid which trails the formail syntax is intended to ensure that each
.forward in a system is sufficiently unique (without it, your .forward and
dozens of other users may actually be identical). If each .forward isn't unique,
it is actually possible that some MTAs will optimize the duplicate invocations
(normally expecting an address list) and discard some. While you shouldn't
necessarily care whether some other sod on your server loses his mail because
he's doing things improperly, YOU don't want that to happen to YOUR mail, so be
sure to put your own userid there."

Now, as far as virtual users are concerned, to procmail, that's just another
header (or form of a header).  If you can match it with a regular expression
you can handle it however you want.

Cheers,
Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton