[TriLUG] OT:<rant>Intrex just lost a customer</rant>

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Mon May 17 15:37:17 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 14:39, Jon Carnes wrote:
> <Flop> Anything with an exposed circuit board is fair game for static
> shocks, lint induced circuit by-passes, dog licks, etc... and I wouldn't
> expect anyone to take it back especially if it worked initially...

Intrex should absolutely *NOT* penalize *ANYONE* for static damage,
accidental or otherwise.  I opted to assemble my own MB/Proc combo when
the guy at my local Intrex told me they could mount the proc/memory for
free, but static straps were unnecessary because of the way components
are built today, and the fact that he was wearing the "right shoes".  I
was also told that the techs in the Raleigh area also do *NOT* use
static straps for the same reasons.  For these reasons, if I do shop at
Intrex I make sure that the packaging on all static sensitive devices is
entirely intact.

I don't actually know if the Raleigh stores *really* have such ignorant
views on static electricity, so don't take my word for it when shopping
your Intrex, just be sure to ask before some guy who claims to have over
10 years experience fries your hardware (especially if he's wearing the
wrong shoes, lol) and refuses to take it back.

Now, I could be wrong, but the last time I checked, static electricity
*does* actually damage low voltage electronic devices.  *BUT* I'm also
not sure that the IBM training videos I was forced to watch when working
for a service center were really correct, and not just some FUD IBM
drummed up to make a killing on selling static straps.  (Those
microscopic photographs of burned IC traces must have been
PhotoShopped).  I am also not sure if anyone will notice the sarcastic
tone of this paragraph. ;-)

I have decided to continue shopping at Intrex despite some of the very
annoying things the guy at my local shop has said/done, as a Linux user
I'm used to dealing with things that cause minor PITAs and have found
some "work around" that make my life easier.  (Not letting them touch my
static sensitive stuff is one of them)  Annoying, arrogant and
mis-informed salespeople is just the price I pay for cheap and local.

Just to clarify, not all the employees at our local Intrex (GV) have
been a pain, (in case the Trilug member/Intrex Employee happens to read
this).

My $.02.

--mike