[TriLUG] retrieving a tar from tape

Byarlay, Wayne A. wab at purdue.edu
Tue May 18 10:19:27 EDT 2004

I recently tarred some (big) stuff to a couple DLT tapes (we're talking
RH9, with a SCSI DLT). I used
#tar -c -M -f /dev/nst0 /path/bigfiles*.*

It seemed to work, prompted me for the 2nd tape, and all. But...

How do I RETRIEVE this archive? I tried

#tar -xv -f /dev/nst0

But do I have to provide a filename or something?

Thanks for the expert advice, in advance... Let me know if any crucial
info is missing that I forgot to provide.

WAB.

p.s. Although I do not actually live in the Tri-city area (In fact, I
don't even know for sure where it is, haha), I find this e-list to be
the most helpful linux mailing list. Thanks all!