[TriLUG] Port 25 blocked

Stephen Hoffman srhoffman at bellsouth.net
Tue May 18 12:45:25 EDT 2004

Depends on who you are talking about...the first person to answer the
phone barely knows his own companies name..let alone how they run their
network.

Level2 support is slightly better in that they know that it is blocked,
but couldn't put their finger on the whole reason it was blocked...

Level3 (you're quite lucky if you make it this far) is where you're call
is transferred back to the US (Level1 and 2 are in Canada from what they
told me) and they'll sympathize with you all day, talk a little linux with
you, then give you a digital middle finger.  Claiming that it is for my
own protection and to prevent spammers from existing on thier network...I
agree with them on that count, but I was using them as a "smart relay"
anyway so I didn't do any direct delivery to any smtp servers other then
bellsouth's.  What I didn't understand is why would they block it
incoming?!?!  And none of them could give me a good answer on that count.
(maybe someone here can)  I know of no spammer who propegated spam by
RECEIVING mail to port 25, but what do I know...I am a residential
customer..must know nothing!