[TriLUG] Port 25 blocked

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Tue May 18 16:01:39 EDT 2004

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 03:32:07PM -0400, Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>    I'm still feeling the service out, but so far I love it...The reason I
> stayed with DSL was the dedicated bandwidth (I'll sacrifice speed for

[Jeremy has already covered this urban legend.]

> consistancy).  I'm not quite sure if this is a by product of the
> upgrade, but it seems that when I ssh home (and only ssh) that my
> keystrokes are heavily delayed?  but I might just need to restart ssh
> (been up for over 100 days?)

[Jeremy also covered the orthogonality of daemon uptime vs. latency. It
is beneficial to note, however, that certain versions of OpenSSH running
on certain Linux versions will exhibit this "spiral of death."]

You'll want to look into prioritizing packets based on TCP flags if you
aren't already. For Linux, look at http://lartc.org/wondershaper/
I gladly "give up" a few KB/s upstream and downstream to maintain
"smoother" ssh sessions.

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc