[TriLUG] SuSE 9.0 simple PPP dial-up ISP

Mike Norwood norwoodm at earthlink.net
Thu May 20 13:10:16 EDT 2004

Not sure if they still have the $6.95 plan but the dialup does still work
from linux using wvdial.  We used that briefly recently while having DSL
problems. They are advertising the first 6 months of dialup at half price
which put it right under $11.00.

Also what you do could depend on her phone company. I know
that Bellsouth has cheap access if you use their other phone services
and I have also accessed them using wvdial fairly recently in helping
someone else get dialup internet access working.

Wvdial is a program designed to configure ppp dialup through a very simple
configuration file, hopefully as easy as entering username, password and
phone number. So generally if an ISP works with it, it will work with
Linux with no extra software and not too much hassle.

Mike Norwood