CoLinux (was Re: [TriLUG] Run two OS simultaneously)

Mark Turner markt at siteseers.net
Tue May 25 09:56:48 EDT 2004

Wesley Zhang wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to run two OS (win2k and linux) simultaneously in same box.

Check out CoLinux (http://www.colinux.org). Its a GPL project which lets
you run Linux as a process under Windows. It's very powerful. You can
mount your existing Linux partitions, get full network access, even run
X apps (forwarded to an X Client under Windoze, such as Cygwin's XFree86
  and the like). My experience has shown it to be much faster than
VMWare and other virtualization software.

The project has a Debian image you can download, but I prefer Fedora so
I've created a Fedora Core image to use with it. CoLinux can even boot
your *existing* Linux partitions from Windows, though I haven't taken
that step yet.

It takes a little effort to get it set up (Linux is not your typical
Windows app...heh.), but it's worth it.

I plan to do a presentation on CoLinux for an upcoming TriLUG meeting.

--
Mark Turner
www.markturner.net