[TriLUG] Need a Stupid Sendmail trick

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Wed May 26 17:03:50 EDT 2004

I'm not sure I fully understand your situation. You must be able to
connect to bellsouth's smtp server on port 25, or how do you send any
email? I can imagine if they are blocking outgoing port 25 to other
destinations.

That said, you could simply setup your smtp server to relay through
Bellsouth's. I have my own smtp server in my house, and it relays
everything throught he roadrunner smtp server.

Another option is what I do with my laptop. I have it automatically open
an ssh session to my mail server when I log in, and it goes something
like this:

ssh -L 2525:localhost:25 myserver.org

I then set my mail client, KMail, to send mail on localhost port 2525.
This will blaze right through any port 25 filtering both incoming and
outgoing. I use this so that my laptop will send email through my server
and thus the RR server regardless of where in the world I'm connected.

Sorry I can't help with sendmail setup, but I use postfix which I think
is much less complicated to configure, which is good for someone like me!

Michael