[TriLUG] Linux & the Adaptec 2410SA Serial ATA RAID card

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu May 27 07:47:22 EDT 2004

I've worked with both the 2410SA, the Promise Serial ATA card, and a
Silicon Image chipset on the Intel Dual Xeon Server boards.  The short
answer, is if you're not using a board with onboard SATA, you'll be
fine.  The Adaptec cards are based on the Silicon Image chipset, with
significantly modified and improved firmware.  The Intel motherboard I
was dealing with *would not post* with the 2410SA card installed.  I
just gave up the ghost and wouldn't work.  The Promise card, on the
other hand, worked reasonably well, once you make sure you have the
right drivers from Promise's site (which is actually trickier than it
sounds).  Ensure you have the appropriate version, either FastTrack or
not - the difference is whether the card has built on raid or not, and
the drivers are not compatible.  In my opinion, the 2410 card was far
superior to the Promise card in terms of setup and simple use.  On the
other hand, it simply wouldn't work on the motherboard in question, so
it was not an option.  For the record, I believe this to be the fault of
the onboard chipset not playing nice, as Adaptec does support multiple
2410SA's in the same box, with out problem.

Now having said all that...  Under RH 3 AS, the performance of the
Promise chipset was quite sub-par.  It was so bad, we actually ripped
out the SATA solution and went with SCSI.  It could be argued that the
SATA drives were simply not up to par (they weren't as good as the
equivalent SCSI drives, in terms of mechanical performance - seek time,
rotational speed, etc).  Although, that would not account for all of the
difference in performance, which was unfortunate.  The drivers were
blamed, and no one looked back.  If the ultimate in performance is your
goal, SATA is just not quite there yet.  On the other hand, if you're
willing to sacrifice a little speed for the convenience of native hot
swapping, lower cost, and more convenient availability - SATA is not an
all-together bad option.

On the other hand, if you'd like a take on that chipset from someone
with intimate knowledge of it, look no further than Soren, who worked
out the bugs in the FreeBSD driver,

>More errata fixing for the SiI3112A disaster chip:
>
>Serialize access to the SATA channels, the chip messes up if
>both channels are used at the same time.
>
>The SiI3112 hereby takes the price as the most crappy SATA chip in
>existance by a significant amount.
>
>My advise to our userbase is to avoid this chip like the plague...

That's straight from the CVS comment log for the driver on FreeBSD.
Generally, I've  had good experience with it, but perhaps the problem he
describes is precisely why the performance is sub-par.  My performance
testing was done on the onboard silicon image chipset on that Intel
board, and on the Promise chipset.  Unfortunately, I was unable to do
any testing on the Adaptec card.  I'd love to have the opportunity to do
further investigation, or hear the results of your evaluation.  I'd
particularly love to hear that Adaptec has solved this problem, and that
the 2410SA works marvelously, unfortunately I'm just not the person to
say that yet.

I literally spent more than 2 working days straight on this problem when
it came to my attention.  If you have further questions, feel free to
ask and perhaps I can provide more insight.

Aaron S. Joyner

1.
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/ata/ata-chipset.c#rev1.50

Jamie Livingston wrote,