[TriLUG] Fedora 2 upgrade & Promise Ultra66

ccela at nc.rr.com ccela at nc.rr.com
Sun May 30 14:44:28 EDT 2004

Hi,

Just upgraded my PC from Fedora 1 to Fedora 2. The upgrading went smooth, but as soon as I rebooted, I was dumped right in the Grub prompt.

I have 2 HD's on my machine, one is an IDE (hd0 for Grub), and the other, where my root partition is (hde,1), is connected to a Promise Ultra66 adapter. When attempting to issue a "root (hde4,1)" to Grub, it does not recognizes the disk (yes, I've tried with all the combinations for hd*, the only recognized is hd0) - Apparently only the IDE HD is being recognized by Fedora.

Booting with Knoppix, I am able to access both disks. I recall I had to do a trick with the Promise controller to load Red Hat 8, long time ago, but cannot recall what it was..

Any help will be appreciated..

Thanks,
Carlos-