[TriLUG] no openGL - help

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Sat Jun 5 23:45:33 EDT 2004

Scott Miller said the following on 6/5/04 10:58 PM:

>  I'm running Mandrake 10 Official - 2.6.3-7, Geforce4 Ti4200. I have
> installed the nvidia driver using their script, etc. And I get the
> nvidia splash screen when X starts. However, when trying to run any 3D
> games, they die instantly. Or as for Quake, it just freezes when
> starting the 3D.
[...]
> lsmod shows the nvidia module loaded, as well as via-agp and agpgart.

The nvidia module is what lets the X server work.  The "glx" X11 extension
module in the X config file is what sets up GLX. Make sure you have a line
in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 that says something like

Load "glx"

or

Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so"

(the last one is what I have on my Mandrake 10.0 system.)

Also, try running glxinfo and see what it says.  If it doesn't
run, glx isn't loaded.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton