[TriLUG] Non-profit donor-management/membership/fundraising s oftware [slightly OT?]

Frye, Matthew Matthew.Frye at rexhealth.com
Mon Jun 7 14:56:43 EDT 2004

>I'm involved in a non-profit that seriously needs to computerize its
>tracking of annual memberships, donations, and embark on additional
>fundraising. For example, it should be able to know whose yearly
>memberships are expiring, and make it easy to print out reminder
>letters.  An e-mail facility would be handy, too.
>
>I  have little experience in this area of software, and what we need
>wouldn't be too complex, but we'd rather not reinvent the wheel.  Does
>anyone have experience with this and any suggestions?  A google search
>yields quite a few choices.
>
>Ideally it would be something that either runs on Linux, or is
>web-based, so that I could use it easily, though the others who need it
>would probably be using Windows.  I wouldn't be 100% objectionable to
>something Windows-based that's known to work in Crossover office or
>similar, however.
>
>--Jeremy

Jeremy,
	I've done this several times and am in the process of taking a few
of these existing frameworks and merging them into a more generic functional
"application."  In each case, these have been fairly simple Linux boxes with
Apache/PHP/MySQL which present a web-based application interface so users
don't have to buy or learn anything.
	In fact, this kind of work is the focus of a new organization I am
founding called the Center for Non-Profit Computing
(nonprofit-computing.org, freshly registered).  I spoke a little about it at
last week's Red Hat meetup and a few people have already said they are
interested in helping.
	I'd be glad to help you on something like this.

Matt

----- Confidentiality Notice -----
This e-mail and any attached documents contain confidential information belonging
to the sending entity, Rex Healthcare, and is intended only for the use of the
individual(s) or entity(s) associated with the recipient addresses listed in the message
header.  The authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from disclosing this
information to any other party.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in reliance on the
contents of the email and/or attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you received this
e-mail transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately to arrange for return
or destruction of this information.

To report abuse or inappropriate use, please email abuse at rexhealth.com.