[TriLUG] USB 6-in-1 Readers under Linux

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Jun 8 10:44:21 EDT 2004

Disclaimer: I am making assumptions based on my experiences with card
readers in general, not your particular device.

Generally, devices like this are simple USB Mass Storage Controller
devices.  One "controller" for each slot.  So effectively, you end up
with a "device" for each card type, so that say Compact Flash cards will
be /dev/sda, Sony MemoryStick will be /dev/sdb, etc.  How you access
those devices will depend on how the media is formatted, but generally,
using CF as an example:
/dev/sda is the device
/dev/sda1 is the first partition on that device, very likely FAT16 formatted
You can mount the device with `mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/foo -t vfat`

Generally, if you've found the device in dmesg, and seen it identified,
the hard part is over.  Give the above a shot, and if you're still
having trouble, let us know here on the list.

Aaron S. Joyner