[TriLUG] OT: Linux Friendly Laptop Forsale

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Jun 10 07:06:46 EDT 2004

You are quite correct, alternating bit patterns tend to mess with even
the data between the bits, which is where "residual" information can
often be recovered by an infinitely determined and funded individual.
Unfortunately, *logically* alternating bit patterns may not really
equate to *physically* alternating bit patterns on the actual platters.
Because modern disk drives may use unconventional ways of writing to the
platters, such as proceeding through them in a helical pattern, as
opposed to a linear one.  Some discs even use more elaborate patterned
writing in attempts to improve access and read/write times.  It would
probably be best to read up on the memtest86 scanning method, and employ
something similar to the patterns he uses for testing, as a wipe
method.  Bearing that in mind is why I chose /dev/random for my example,
as opposed to /dev/zero, but as you illustrate there is a lot more that
can be done in the name of being thorough.  Consider the rumored NSA
practice, which is actually shooting a lead slug into the platters,
physically destroying the entire device.

Aaron S. Joyner