[TriLUG] VHS Tapes, Digital Video Cameras and DVD Recorders

Rick DeNatale rick at denhaven2.homeip.net
Thu Jun 10 12:07:02 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 08:27 -0400, Jeff Tickle wrote:
> Howdy..
>
> My Dad wants to start a fun little conversion project.  He has a bunch
> of VHS tapes that he'd like to convert to DVDs, plus some stuff he's
> recorded on a digital video camera (not sure of the model... so we'll
> just assume it works with Linux until I find out otherwise.)
>
> Does anyone have experience doing this with Linux?  One thing I'm going
> to have to do is make the entire process as easy as possible.  I haven't
> done much research yet but I just wanted to get word from any of your
> experiences.  The two things I have absolutely no clue how to do are
> take the video from the camera and write video to a DVD.

No direct experience, but I just picked up the April* issue of Linux
Format at the Barnes and Noble at Triangle Town center, and it has a
feature article on how to do things like this.

In skimming it last night, they seemed to imply that you could actually
write a DVD format file system to a CD if it would fit. Has anyone tried
this? If so would such a CVD work on a home entertainment DVD player?
Note that I'm not talking about a VCD here.

* Yes, April, it's a British mag so the newsstands seem to be a bit
behind. The TTC B&N had two copies, but I had to return the first one
since someone had cleverly liberated the DVD that came with it from the
keepcase inside the plastic wrap.