[TriLUG] knoppix 3.3 vs 3.4

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 11 12:13:44 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 11:00:04AM -0400, Magnus Hedemark wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Mike M wrote:
>
> > Knoppix 3.3 works in 3 desktops and 2 laptops that I know of.
> > 3.4 fails in the Dell Desktop - it seems to be unhappy with the CD
> > drive.
>
> I still use Knoppix CD's from Nov of last year as they are more compatible
> with my newer machines than Knoppix 3.4 from last month.  Knoppix 3.4 will
> boot on some of my older systems but anything made in the last year will
> only boot with the 3.3 disc (and even then, won't recognize the Broadcom
> gigabit ethernet built into most of my desktops).
>
> None of the Knoppix discs I have seem to work on Compaq Proliant servers
> of any vintage in the last 3-4 years which reduces their value to desktop
> rescue use only for me.

I saw (within last 3 days) some made-for-rescue CDs out there.  Of
course I didn't bookmark them.  Based on what you say I'm  looking
for something beside Knoppix to perform rescue.

Speaking of rescue, I created a grub boot CD and learned how to use the
grub shell to boot Linux and Windows (looks like BSD is even easier but
I haven't tried it yet).

Anybody setting up dual boot machines should take the time to learn
to use a grub boot disk (floppy or CD).  You get a rush of power when
boot Linux and then Windows from the grub shell. You can also install
any bootloader to the MBR of your primary BIOS drives fearlessly.
Learning to restore the MBR is important too, but that's another
subject and already I stray too far.

I'm going to post details on grubbing in the future.  I am writing them
up now.  I learned that grub is deprecated and grub2 is the way of the
future. Exciting stuff for grub geeks.

--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.