[TriLUG] FC2 upgrade and pop3

Dave Sorenson dave at logicalgeek.com
Fri Jun 11 17:57:47 EDT 2004

I edited the dovecot config, and got it starting, but no port 110 listening
when I netstat. Firewall is on a separate machine and functioning correctly.
Good Ideas, but I'm still dead in the water as far as pop3.. I guess I'll
double check the dovecot.conf.

Dave S

Wow, one I can help on!

Two things you should know:

By default, dovecot does not serve pop3 (only IMAP).  You'll have to edit
/etc/dovecot.conf to enable pop3.  Comments in the file should make this
pretty easy, and it's right at the top.

Also by default, FC2 doesn't load dovecot at startup.  Add a symbolic link
to /etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot in each rcN.d for the runlevels in which you
want dovecot to be started, called S??dovecot, where ?? is the ordinal for
when to launch the program in the startup sequence.  That is a confusing
paragraph that means this:
For example, if you boot to runlevel 5 by default (X is running):
# su
root# cd /etc/rc5.d
root# ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot S70dovecot

The number after the S is not terribly important, as long as it is greater
than the numbers of the links that start your network services, firewall,
etc.  I chose 70 because it is between xinetd (S56xinetd) and sendmail
(S80sendmail).

Also be sure that your firewall configuration is set to accept traffic on
the appropriate ports (see /etc/services for the list).

I hope this helps!  This is what I had to do to get it working on my FC2
installation.

Cheers,
~Brian