[TriLUG] [Trilug-announce] And now from the get rid of Ma and PaBell for good department: how to set up your own Asterix server

Glen Ford gford at idiom.com
Fri Jun 11 19:23:08 EDT 2004

Jon Carnes wrote:

>>>I don't have Static IP at my house, but I'm willing to play from my home
>>>box - I'd have to share with you my current IP during your tests.
>>>
>>>I'm very interested in playing with IAX trunking as well. I'm especially
>>>interested in how well the trunk works while staying inside RoadRunners
>>>cloud.
>>>
>>>Jon Carnes
>>>

>>Jon,
>>
>>    Thank you very much! I too am in RR cloud.
>>I am just learning so set expectations accordingly.
>>Should we work out logistics outside of list?
>>

>Lets stay on list (so it goes into the archives) unless someone else
>complains. (I won't ship you my ip data on list - though that would be
>fairly easy to find).
>
>Most of your questions are answered in this old Linux Journal article"
>  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6769
>
>(be sure to read the emailed notes at the bottom of the article as it
>has some corrections to the examples)
>

>>My goal is to learn how to do the following:
>>1. Place call to POTS line of Asterisk#1
>>

>You'll need some hardware on your Linux box (with some drivers) to get
>this to work. You can buy the hardware from Digum ($175)
>  http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=developerskit_tdm
>

>>2. Authenticate myself. (pin code?)
>>

>There are a dazzling array of authentication techniques. Remember you
>are moving data around, so you can use any form of data authentication.
>
>You can definitely use the IVR functionality of Asterisk and have it use
>pin codes for access to any number of functions.
>

>>3. Be dropped into voice menu that gives me choice of people to call.
>>

>This is pretty much the default mode of Asterisk. You would set it up in
>/etc/asterisk/extensions.conf ... and here is the example from that
>file:
>
>;[mainmenu]
>;
>; Example "main menu" context with submenu
>;
>;exten => s,1,Answer
>;exten => s,2,Background(thanks)
>; ;     "Thanks for calling press 1 for sales, 2 for support, ..."
>
>;exten => 1,1,Goto(submenu,s,1)
>;exten => 2,1,Hangup
>;include => default
>;
>;[submenu]
>;exten => s,1,Ringing
>; ;     Make them comfortable with 2 seconds of ringback
>
>;exten => s,2,Wait,2
>;exten => s,3,Background(submenuopts)
>; ;  "Thanks for calling the sales depart.  Press 1 for steve, 2 for..."
>;exten => 1,1,Goto(default,steve,1)
>;exten => 2,1,Goto(default,mark,2)
>                                                                                                                    ; Real extensions would go here.
>;  Generally you want real extensions to be 4 or 5
>;  digits long (although there is no such requirement)
>;  and start with a single
>;  digit that is fairly large (like 6 or 7) so that you
>;  have plenty of room to
>;  overlap extensions and menu options without conflict.
>;  You can alias them with
> [...]
Jon,

    Under the heading of "everything is easy when you know how",  I
finally figured out how to create sound files with Asterisk. I can now
actually prompt the caller!
I found the following on  voip.org site and added it to my
extention.conf  file.

; used to record prompts
 exten => 205,1,Wait(2)
 exten => 205,2,Record(/tmp/asterisk-recording:gsm)
 exten => 205,3,Wait(2)
 exten => 205,4,Playback(/tmp/asterisk-recording)
 exten => 205,5,Wait(2)
 exten => 205,6,Hangup

I am getting close to place call via IAX to your server and vice/versa.

/glen