[TriLUG] And now from the get rid of Ma and PaBell for good department: how to set up your own

Glen Ford gford at idiom.com
Sun Jun 13 22:36:51 EDT 2004

Glen Ford wrote:

> Jon,
>
>    I have first stab at getting my Asterisk to talk to your Asterisk
> over IAX.  I am using IAX2 and I turned on port forwarding  [4569/UDP]
> to allow your Asterisk server to contact my Asterisk server.
>
> Below are my configs.
>

> 1. Here is my iax.conf file
>
> [general]
> port=4569
> bindaddr=0.0.0.0
> amaflags=default
> accountcode=home
>
> register => gford:password at ip_of_jon:4569
>
> ;Allow Jon's server to register to my system from
> ;Jon's IP
> [From-JonServer]
> ;type=user is to authenticate an incoming call
> type=user
> secret=his_secret
> context=internal
> host=ip_of_jon
>
> [To-JonServer]
> ;type=peer is someone you send a call to
> type=peer
> secret=his_secret
> context=internal
> host=ip_of_jon
>

> 2. my extensions.conf relevant entries
>
> [globals]
> TIMEOUT=12
> ; I am gussing the 9 needs to be in first position in order to place
> an outbound call via the PSTN
> GLENCELL=95555555
> JONSERVER=10.1.1.1
>
> [iax]
> include => misc
> ; thought is that person will call my PSTN and get voice prompt to
> enter 444 to call my cell phone
> ; then the call is place out Jon's PSTN .... MAYBE exten =>
> 444,1,Dial(IAX/To-JonServer:password@$(JONSERVER)/${GLENCELL}@internal)

More on the Asterisk front:
I got 919 area code from Voicepulse and sucessfully registered my
Asterisk server to Voicepluse.
Did simple dial plan to put calls from my Voicepulse number into
voicemail menu.
Next step is to add "call my cellphone" option to voicepulse dialplan.

I bought a 919 area code so that I could make a local call when testing
my Asterisk/Voicpulse configuration.
I would be willing to share account info with anyone wanting to do their
own test with Asterisk/Voicpulse.

/glen