[TriLUG] Anyone have experience with Cisco PIX501 firewall/router?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Jun 14 14:12:33 EDT 2004

Hiyo,
  I'm trying to configure a PIX501 firewall appliance because my employer
spent money on it and would rather use it than shelve it in favor of
fw/routing through a linux machine (which I would rather do of course....).
  Anyhow, does anyone have any experience configuring such a beast?  All I
want to do is deny all inbound traffic, except for forwarding ports for
smtp, http, pop and imap to a particular internal host.
  I can't find any config stuff for simple port-forwarding; it seems this
device wants to basically map external IPs to internal IPs 1-to-1 in terms
of inbound routing, which is no good for us since we only have one external
IP.  (At this point, all those ports are going to the same host, so for now
a 1-to-1 would work, but that may not remain the case forever, and I'd
rather do it right the first time)

So...  any help for me out there?

Thanks as always,
~Brian