[TriLUG] Privileges and Social Engineering

Mike Fieschko mike.fieschko at verizon.net
Tue Jun 15 12:49:46 EDT 2004

On Sat Jun 12, Jeff Tickle wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 21:30, Mike Fieschko wrote:
> > One of the Mandrake security levels doesn't allow any
> > root login.  I hope that Mandrake's install requires a
> > nonroot account, especially if that security level is
> > selected.  You can still do `su root` or `su - root`, of
> > course.  My $0.02: if a box has a NIC, or if networking
> > is otherwise set up, then no root login ought to be
> > allowed.
>
> I don't really see the point in preventing root login.  As
> long as you have a secure password, it shouldn't really be
> a problem... and if there's a possible vulnerability that
> allows someone to get around the root password, couldn't
> there also be a vulnerability that allows them to get
> around root login being blocked?  I mean at some point you
> have to be able to access root, even if its through su or
> sudo, and unless you totally remove that root user
> privilege, there's still a risk.  I'd just like to hear a
> bit more on this explanation if you don't mind,
> maybe there's some factor that I don't know.

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I've been away from the keyboard.  I was thinking of password guessing, yes.  As a little more explanation of my thinking, I had in mind an ordinary person, inexperienced with Linux, the sort of person who selects their birthday / spouse's name, or the like for their login password.  The original post, IIRC, spoke of such an inexperienced user.

Disabling root login makes password guessing more difficult, since if root login is disabled, then the bad guy needs to not only guess a password, but guess the password of a user in the group permitted to su.

About secure passwords, I've seen warnings when a dictionary entry is selected as a password (Mandrake again?), but the warning doesn't prevent the user selecting the dictionary entry as a password.