[TriLUG] Linux Backup Strategies

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Jun 16 08:07:19 EDT 2004

...so then has the 2GB single-file size smb 'bug' been fixed?  I recall many
moments of frustration surrounding a similar project, where the smb transfer
seemed to stall (read: everything ground to a halt), and I found that the
reason was that smb puked on files larger than 2 gigabytes..  I don't know
if that's still an issue, but if it is, you'll need to use a utility (or
tar's built-in ability) to segment your images into <2GB chunks.  (Be aware
that, as far as my limited knowledge goes, tar's volume-sizing ability does
not include sequential naming, so you'll have to wrap it in some other
script to rename each chunk after tar finishes with it)

Cheers,
~Brian