[TriLUG] what happened to static-routes ?

Ryan Leathers ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com
Wed Jun 16 09:57:31 EDT 2004

Hi all.  I have wondered from time to time why configuration files are
located in one place or another, and why this location isn't more
consistent between ditributions.

Here is an example.  In Redhat 9 static routes are stored in the file
aptly named static-routes found under /etc/sysconfig.  In RHAS 3 this
same information is stored under /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices in an
interface specific file like eth0.route

I can see the benefit of associating static routes to specific
interfaces, but why not just do that in one file?  This isn't a big
deal, but if anyone knows WHY this was done I'd enjoy hearing the tale.
I'm also just generally curious about how these kinds of decisions come
to be.

--
Ryan Leathers <ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com>
Global Knowledge