[TriLUG] server not workin

sholton at mindspring.com sholton at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 16 17:00:05 EDT 2004

Jason-

Please describe for us:

"What is it doing that you don't want it to do, or what is it not doing that you want it to do?"

We'll need to know what "it" is. Start with things that are nearer to
you (such as your web browser) rather than things which are
further away from you (such as the web server.) Specific version
numbers can be very helpful too.

We'll need to know what you asked it to do. What did you type, what did
you click, etc.

What was the first indication something wasn't working right?
(For example, describe the page you get instead of the page you
want, or give us the exact error message.)

We'll need to know what you were expecting it to do instead. Are there
parts that work and parts that don't?

And, we'll need to know why you think it should be doing something
different than what it actually is doing. (The computer will always insist
it's right; there's no sense in arguing with it ;-)

Also, be patient. The problem may not be linux related, or there may not
be anyone on this list with experience in the specific problem you have, but
we will attempt to get you to the next step closer. There are lots of people
here willing to help, but first we'll need to understand your setup, your
experience level, your expectations, etc.

Contact me directly at sholton at mindspring.com if you want to discuss this further.