[TriLUG] Re: Managed languages (was .NET development on Linux)

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu Jun 17 11:05:11 EDT 2004

Java is slow(er) because it's interpreted---whereas a compiled language such
as C gets turned into machine code that the CPU itself understands, Java is
compiled into object code that must be translated into machine code at
runtime by the JVM.

I agree that Java on the web can be a pain in the butt in Linux.  It's just
not always immediately clear what hoops you have to jump through to get a
particular browser to use the installed JVM.  That is not to say that Java
can't be a pain in the butt in Windows, but most Java web apps I've used in
Windows run on the JVM that's already there, and in the cases where I do
need to install a more recent JVM, the JVM installation takes care of
getting my browser to use it correctly.

However, I must say in terms of standalone (i.e. not web-delivered) Java
apps, I've never had any trouble in Linux.  Granted, however, that I don't
have vast amounts of such experiences.

My tuppence, but it'll cost ya a shilling...

Cheers,
~Brian