[TriLUG] Re: Managed languages (was .NET development on Linux)

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Jun 17 13:04:23 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 10:03, Paul D. Boyle wrote:
> Joseph Tate wrote:
> >
> > Aaron Bockover wrote:
> > > While I *really* don't care for C# or VB, I certainly respect the work
> > > being done in the Mono area for .NET support.
> > >

> > If there's a language that I should be learning, let me know.
>
> [snip]
>
> > Joseph
> > C/C++, Java, Perl, PHP, VB, InstallScript, Bash, Batch, and PL/SQL developer
> > --
>
> How about FORTRAN?  ;-)

I think you are giving Pyton a bad rap. Python rules!

I used to program in C and Perl but now I'm a firm convert to Python.
Learning Python was a Piece of cake compared to either C or Perl.
Programing in Python is rapid and easy.

You can run it interactively which helps you to easily debug or find
just the right built-in function for what you need. Once the program is
run it stores the app in a compiled mode and subsequent runs are
extremely fast.

Python also runs on multiple platforms and works great for web apps.

Jon Carnes