[TriLUG] Re: Managed languages (was .NET development on Linux)

David A. Cafaro dac at trilug.org
Thu Jun 17 13:06:26 EDT 2004

Just curious but when was this Windows Java Client written?  Any chance
it was back when MS was really working hard to make a Windows only
Version of Java (as the default in Visual Java).  This might very well
explain your problems.  Most of the Java programs I've worked with were
not developed using MS tools.

As for web apps, the few that I've used on a regularish basis (AIM quick
messenger, Check View for my Bank, speed tester at dslreports) all have
worked equally when used on Windows or Linux.  They are not quick by any
stretch of the term, but you are talking about web distributed apps that
are running from a virtual machine that is running from a web browser.
Java can run very quick when used on the server side, but web based
client side is still slow in my experience, and usually most of this
slowness is in the loading of the app, not as much in the running of the
app.

Again, this is just my experience.

-David

--