[TriLUG] Re: Managed languages (was .NET development on Linux)

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 17:25:49 EDT 2004

Joseph Tate wrote:

>  Is there a memory management plugin for
> C/C++ (though that would defeat the purpose)?

Ok, first a nit-pick...I wish people wouldn't write
"C slash C++".  That implies that they are the same
language, and they're really not.

It *used* to be the case that you could effectively
consider C++ a proper superset of C, but with the latest
rev of the C standard, the languages have diverged
enough that it makes sense to quit referring to them
as though they were the same.

Having said that...  Memory management in C++ is made
much simpler by using smart pointers... Google sometime
for "C++ smart pointer" or just "auto_ptr" and read
some of the stuff that's out there...

Also, while you don't hear it discussed much, it is
possible to use garbage collection in C++ code.  Herb
Schildt's book "The Art of C++" contains a description
of a basic C++ garbage collection implementation, for example.
Again, google should turn up plenty of additional info.

And anyway, managed languages are t3h sux0r. :-)

TTYL,

Phil

--
When the 1st Amendment no longer protects your voice.
And when the 4th Amendment no longer protects your privacy or your stuff.

FREE AMERICA
Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org