[TriLUG] SAMBA 3.0.2 shares storing installation software

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Fri Jun 18 14:58:46 EDT 2004

Sure. Here it is.I'll give you the quick run down of what I had to install.
I hope to one day write this up as a mini-howto.

To install Samba 3.0.2, I had to install the following rpms. This is on a
Fedora Core 1 box, but I also have an install on a WhiteBox Enterprise 3.0
Linux server and it works fine too.

krb5-libs-1.3.1-6
krb5-workstation-1.3.1-6
krb5-devel-1.3.1-6
krb5-server-1.3.1-6
openldap-2.1.22-8 (2.1.23 is recommended)
openldap-devel-2.1.22.8
samba-3.0.2-7-FC1
samba-common-3.0.2-7.FC1
samba-client-3.0.2-7.FC1
samba-swat-3.0.2-7.FC1 (if you want swat capability. This is totally
optional)

Depending on the distro, you may have to install compatible libraries for
gcc for your distro and rebuild *src.rpms. Check you docs for more info.

Here's the smb.conf. Please note, you MUST run winbind in order to join the
domain as an ADS client/member. Comments are in the parenthesis.

-------------------------------Begin
smb.conf------------------------------------
[global]
        realm = yourdomain.com (lowercase)
        security = ADS
        encrypt passwords = yes
        netbios name = SERVERNAME (needs to be UPPERCASE)
        server string = Samba %v Server (Windows description line for the
server)
        workgroup = DOMAINNAME (This is your ADS domain name, UPPERCASE)
        case sensitive = no (This can go here or in each share)
        preserve case = yes
        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
        local master =no (If this is set to yes, then your ADS may not be
browseable. YMMV)

#[homes]
#       comment = User Home Directory
#       browseable = no
#       writable = yes
#       create mode = 0660
#       directory mode = 0770

[share]
        comment = shared directory
        path=/path/to/shares
        writeable = yes

------------------------------------End
smb.conf -----------------------------

You also need to make your krb5.conf match your domain correctly

------------------------------------Begin
krb5.conf----------------------------
[logging]
 default = FILE:/var/log/krb5libs.log
 kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5kdc.log

[libdefaults]
 ticket_lifetime = 24000
 default_realm = DOMAINNAME (This is your ADS domain name, UPPERCASE, same
as in the globals for smb.conf)
 dns_lookup_realm = false
 dns_lookup_kdc = false

[realms]
 DOMAINNAME (This is your ADS domain name, UPPERCASE, same as in the globals
for smb.conf)= {
  kdc = kdc.yourdomain.com:88
  admin_server = kdc.yourdomain.com:749
  default_domain = yourdomain.com
 }

[domain_realm]
 yourdomain.com = YOURDOMAIN.COM
 anotherdomain.yourdomain.com = ANOTHERDOMAIN.YOURDOMAIN.COM

[kdc]
 profile = /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kdc.conf

[appdefaults]
 pam = {
   debug = false
   ticket_lifetime = 36000